4. Build Your First Configuration
Now that you have an agent running, we'll configure it to start collecting telemetry and shipping it to your preferred destination.
To set up an agent configuration, navigate to the Configs tab and click New Configuration.
You'll now be in the configuration wizard.
- Give your config a name (see naming rules below).
- Choose a platform for it to run on that corresponds to your agent(s)
- You can optionally add a description for the config, then click Next
Rules for naming configs:
- must be 63 characters or less
- must begin and end with an alphanumeric character ( [a-z0-9A-Z] )
- can contain dashes ( - ), underscores ( _ ), dots ( . ), and alphanumerics between
Add a Source
Next, we'll add sources to our configuration. Sources are where you'd like to collect metrics, logs, or traces. We will start by collecting some host metrics using the Host source.
- Click Add Source
- Choose "Host"
- Choose the metrics you'd like to collect
- Click Save when you're all done
Click Save when you're done with the source configuration. You can add more sources, click on existing ones to see their configuration and edit or remove them, or click Next to move on to adding a destination.
Add a Destination
The last step is to add a destination. This is where you'd like to ship your telemetry for storage or analysis. BindPlane OP supports the most popular destinations out of the box. You can find a full list here.
For this example, we will show you how to configure a Google Cloud destination.
- Click Add Destination
- Select "Google Cloud" from the list of destinations
- Enter a name (corresponding with the same naming rules listed above)
- Fill in your Project ID
- Select the desired authentication method
📘 If the VM running your BindPlane agent is already in Google Cloud, then you can leave the authentication method to auto.
📘 Creating a credentials file for Google Cloud
A Google Cloud Service Account can used for authentication by creating a service account and key.
Create a service account with the following roles:
- Metrics: roles/monitoring.metricWriter
- Logs: roles/logging.logWriter
- Traces: roles/cloudtrace.agent
Create a service account json key and place it on the system that is running the collector.
- Click Save to save the destination
- Click Save again to finish building your configuration
The next page is the Details page for the config you just created. At the bottom of the page in the Agents section,
- Click the + icon to add an agent.
- Select which agents you'd like to apply the config to
- Click Apply
Rollout The Configuration
Now that you've built your configuration and specified the agents it should be applied to, you need to roll out the configuration. Rollouts are how we deploy configuration changes to our agents.
Click "Start Rollout," and your configuration will be sent to your agent(s)!
Congratulations! You've successfully configured BindPlane OP, and you should now see telemetry flowing into your destination. If you run into any issues during setup, don't hesitate to contact us on Slack; we'd be happy to help.
Once you've configured your first pipeline, we can begin exploring the real power of BindPlane OP: routing, transforming, and reducing your telemetry data.